The School of Architecture and Planning is thrilled to welcome members of the Class of 2020 to campus on Oct. 1, 2021, for a commencement celebration befitting your accomplishments - at UB, in your regalia, walking the stage and celebrating with family, friends, and classmates. Kicking off Homecoming Weekend 2021, the University at Buffalo will host two ceremonies for all Class of 2020 graduates on Friday, Oct. 1. Both ceremonies will be held in the Alumni Arena on UB's North Campus.
Graduate arrival and ticketing
- If you haven’t already purchased your cap & gown set, please do so. Info available at: https://www.buffalo.edu/commencement/class-of-2020/capsandgowns.html
- On October 1st, arrive at Alumni Arena 1 hour prior to ceremony start time and report to the Ed Wright Practice Facility (Rm 76) which is located on the ground floor level. Please arrive already robed in your cap & gown set. In room 76, check in at the table marked for your school and pick up your reader card – you will later hand that to the announcer during the ceremony so your name can be announced as you cross the stage.
- Upon arrival, guests of grads should go directly to the main gym to take their seats; they may do so beginning 1 hour prior to ceremony start time.
- There will not be a place for graduates to leave their belongings; please do not bring more with you than you can keep on your person.
- Tickets: Each graduate who registered to participate is receiving 4 guest tickets. No additional tickets beyond this are available. Your 4 tickets will be sent to the email that you used when you registered for the ceremony. The tickets will come to you from firstname.lastname@example.org between 9/23 and 9/30. Keep an eye on your junk mail folder in case it goes there. The tickets are pdf attachments that you may then share with your guests via email or as printouts.
- Photography: A professional photographer will take a candid photograph of each graduate as they cross the stage and do a quick posed photo after they have departed the stage. Guests are asked to remain seated. Proofs will be emailed to graduates.
- Online Viewing: Family & friends who are unable to attend may view the livestream. The viewing link will be posted in time for the ceremony at: https://www.buffalo.edu/commencement/streaming/current-videos.html
- At the conclusion of the ceremony, all ceremony participants are part of a staged recessional out of the venue. Grads will be led out the Webster Road door of Alumni Arena.
- Graduates AND their guests are strongly encouraged to review the Guest Info section of the commencement website for details on:
- Parking and Directions;
- COVID-19-Related Policies: Reminder: All attendees will need to show proof that they received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine by Oct. 1; proof will be checked by event staff at entry. A vaccination card, a photo of a vaccination card, an Excelsior Pass or a digital vaccine card are all acceptable. Attendees should be prepared to show photo ID as well. Masks are required for all inside campus buildings. Children under 12 who are not vaccinated, will still be admitted but must be masked at all times at all UB venues. Reminder: guests of graduates, age 3 and over, require a ticket for the event. View the announcement of this policy and check UB's website regularly for the latest health & safety guidelines.
- Please complete the daily health check before arriving on campus on Oct. 1
- Accessibility accommodations for GUESTS of grads (Note: if graduates themselves are in need of an accommodation to participate in the ceremony, based on a disability, please notify Joelle Haseley, commencement coordinator for the School, as soon as possible (email@example.com or 716-829-3981).
Don't miss UB's Homecoming Weekend
There's still time to register for our post-ceremony panel conversation with members of our Class of 2020
Join us in conversation with members of our Class of 2020 as they share how they have navigated the transition after graduation in times of COVID. Together we will generate insights for future students and emerging professionals about turning challenge into opportunity during these complex times. The “Designing Futures” panel conversation will be facilitated by Samina Raja, PhD, UB professor of urban planning and associate dean for research and inclusive excellence for the School.
5:30 pm – 7:30 pm
Hayes Hall Atrium Gallery (opening reception, 5:30 pm)
Hayes Hall 403 (panel event, 6:15 pm – 7:30 pm)
UB South Campus